Wednesday 29 January 2014

Urban Landscape Project

 I made these paintings as part of my experimentation towards final piece in my 'Urban Landscape' project. 

 This first image was made using the 'wet on wet' technique where I purposefully used an excess of water while painting to create the marbled effect you see in the field in front of the building here.




This piece was made by painting a background using some bright coloured water-colour paints and then sticking different shaped cut outs from magazines to look like buildings. I like the uniqueness this gave the picture, particularly because of the unusual objects that I used.








This piece was made by painting a multicoloured background using water-colour paints before adding chalk pastel in different colours to represent buildings. I then drew different shapes along the buildings in the foreground to look like windows, but left the buildings in the background empty because they are far away.
I then outlined and gave detail using a fine liner pen.






I painted this without the use of a paintbrush, by scraping paint along some card, using alternate sized pieces of card for different sized shapes in the paint or for different coloured paint.
This painting technique is called impasto.







This piece was made by placing down different shaped pieces of card before painting over them and the background, then peeling off the card to reveal the sharp white colour of the paper surrounded by the colour that was painted over the card. I really liked this effect, particularly because the image looks quite similar in reverse.






This painting was made using paper collage. I cut out different pieces of newspaper into the shapes that I wanted and stuck them to my background before painting them in different colours and then splashing paint across the page in blue, to look like rain pouring from the clouds.
This is my favourite image that I made out of these 6 experimental pieces, and I have decided to use this technique for my final piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment